1 (law) the residence where where you have your permanent home or principal establishment and to where, whenever you are absent, you intend to return; every person is compelled to have one and and only one domicile at a time; "what's his legal residence?" [syn: legal residence]
2 housing that someone is living in; "he built a modest dwelling near the pond"; "they raise money to provide homes for the homeless" [syn: dwelling, home, abode, habitation, dwelling house] v : make one's home or live in; "She resides officially in Iceland"; "I live in a 200-year old house"; "These people inhabited all the islands that are now deserted"; "The plains are sparsely populated" [syn: dwell, shack, reside, live, inhabit, people, populate, domiciliate]
- In architecture, domicile is a general term for a place of residence or "permanent residence" in legal terms
- Domicile, A thrash metal band from Manchester, England
- Domicile (astrology), the "rulership " or "house " of a planetary body. Each planet has its domicile in the sign or signs it rules.
- Domicile (airline) location where aircrew are centered to staff aircraft. These locations are typically at a scheduled service passenger airline's, cargo airline's, or charter airline's, main focus city or hub in larger metropolitan areas.
- Domicile (law) is a term that designates the law of a person for purposes of determining certain legal questions such as the ability to invoke the jurisdiction of a Court, or the interpretation of a will. A person may have many places of residence, but may only have one domicile. At birth a person obtains the domicile of their parents, and can change it by foresaking their former domicile and intending to reside indefinitely at a new place in which they are physically and lawfully present. In some people's personal law, a woman obtains the domicile of her husband upon marriage. The law of the domicile will govern the law of inheritance applicable on the death of a person and the matrimonial law governing the property of a married couple wherever that property may be.
- In product packaging, domicile often refers to the manufacturer information, sometimes located near the UPC or on the side of the package. The domicile can include the manufacturer, distributor, and/or licensee's address, phone number, website, and the country of origin.
abide, abiding place, abode, accommodations, address, bed, berth, bestow, billet, board, bunk, cantonment, cohabit, commorancy, crash pad, crib, diggings, digs, domiciliate, domus, doss down, dwell, dwelling, dwelling place, entertain, establish, habitation, hang out, harbor, home, house, housing, hut, inhabit, live, living quarters, locate, lodge, lodging, lodging place, lodgings, lodgment, nest, occupy, pad, perch, place, place to live, put up, quarter, remain, reside, residence, residency, roof, room, roost, seat, settle, shelter, situate, squat, stable, stay, tenant